Thursday 14 August 2014

My wardrobe loves: Hair wraps

Hair wraps, hair scarves, do-rags – whatever you call ‘em, I can’t get enough of them. I told myself about a year ago that I didn't need any more, but I keep pulling outfits together and scrambling through my drawer, cursing myself for not having the foresight to match every top, skirt, dress, shoes, belt or bag in my wardrobe.

Wraps are wonderful because they cover up hair mistakes, add instant vintage flair to hairstyles even when you've done nothing to it and, probably best of all, they cover your hair when it's getting too far on the dirty side to do anything with.

To tell you the truth, I have a sewing machine and could be whipping these babies up myself, but there are a couple of reasons why I don’t, namely, that I keep being introduced to amazing amazing ladies who are making a steady stream of awesome wraps so consistently, that I’ve never had the need to seek out a pattern and make my own. As a girl who runs two teeny out of home businesses, I am big into loving on and sharing small Aussie businesses too, so here are three of my most favourite places to buy hair wraps (and other things) from.


Chickabilly
For me, the majority of my scarves have been purchased as a part of Chickabilly’s famous headscarf battles. Neety makes a range of scarves in pinup/rockabilly prints. I love them because they’re reversible, so you get double the bang for your buck. Neety is one of the craftiest people around and also makes incredible hair flowers, and bags. She also makes amazing smelling perfume oils and has just started producing some gorgeous confetti Lucite earrings (I am in love with the flamingos).


Chickabilly is closing later this year, so if I were you, I’d get in and buy all her scarves before they’re gone!

Miz Smitten Kitten
I met Von, the lovely lady behind Miz Smitten Kitten, through Miss Cooly Rocks On and let me tell you, she is one fabulous, generous person. She took one look at my Avengers dress and said she’d picked up some Wonder Woman fabric that she thought I’d love, I got super excited, and a couple of weeks later, Wonder Woman was in my possession. Von’s scarves are also reversible, and she does them in complementary colours so that little bit of the other side that pops up when you tie them ties in with the other side. Mine is a do-rag — a lot thicker than the standard scarf. This is awesome because I can either use it to dress up my hair when I've set it before going out, or I can use it to hid my (often) unbrushed/unstyled hair.


Miz Von is also a very crafty creature and makes the most incredible hair flowers you’ve ever seen, hair bows, wallets, jewellery and heaps of other amazing stuff.


HoneyCub
I found HoneyCub through Pigtails and Pirates. We got to talking over Instagram and then I found myself pining after basically every scarf that Manda makes. Again, these are made reversible with complementary colours and Amanda will discuss matching fabrics with you for custom orders, or provide ones that she’s already made. As well as wraps, she makes clips, bows and hair ties with button covered bobbles (I love these).








Honey Cub’s wraps come with a wire insert which means they wrap easily around your head and stay in place without slipping, or without the need for clips. I'll admit, I've walked away from scarves with the wire insert before and wasn’t sure about these wraps before they arrived, but I do know that I seem to have very slippery hair (clean or dirty) and the wire actually worked amazingly for me. Usually, I retie my scarf every time I'm in the bathroom, but I took these pictures at the very end of the day and the wrap had not budged an inch. Consider me converted, big time.

*

All of these ladies are exceptional when it comes to customer service; they’re friendly, reliable, excellent crafts people who I will continue to support for a long time and would totally encourage you to check them out as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment