Wednesday 23 December 2015

Christmas in Brisbane

Last year, lots of fun Christmas stuff started up in Brisbane City. I don't really have much reason to head into town often, so last year when a friend invited me to see the Myer Christmas parade I was dubious. I loved it so much that this year, it was me doing the inviting. It's no secret that I love Christmas (because I wouldn't have dressed this way for almost 25 days if I didn't), so I've put together some Christmas things you can do in these last two nights before Santa comes.



Unfortunately, Sunday was the last night of the parade and pantomime, but the Gold Lotto City Hall light show runs until Midnight on Christmas Eve. If you're looking for a way of catching some last minute Christmas spirit, I'd definitely recommend heading into the city to see it. The show runs every fifteen minutes so you can see it a few times and make a night of it.



This year, the show is the final act of the Nutcracker story In the Land of Sweets. There's something really magical about sitting in King George Square with hundreds of other people on a warm summer's night (it's one of the only awesome things about living in the land of summer at Christmas time. Okay, so there are a few, but singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas when you are sweltering has a whole new meaning).

You can also wander down to the Riverside and eat dinner along the waterfront, overlooking the Story Bridge, which is lit up for Christmas.



If you're looking for more family-oriented Christmas activities, there are still things happening at Southbank! Tonight is the last free Christmas movie at Streets Beach (they're playing Miracle on 34th Street). It's also the last night of the Christmas markets.

You still have today and tomorrow to snag tickets to the Queensland Ballet's 2015 production of The Nutcracker. I can't go this time around, but we went last year and loved every second of it. I highly recommend checking it out, especially if you have kids.

And lastly, yesterday Les Misérables Australia announced a special which allows you to purchase $45 tickets (even the premium ones) to their shows on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day or New Years Eve (and there are matinees all three of these days). You can only access these prices via this link: http://goo.gl/o9gQPy 

It's an amazing deal!

There's lots on, but if you don't want to go out, why not have a nice take out dinner at home and snuggle up on the couch with a Christmas movie?! That's what I'm doing tonight.

In case you missed the parade last week, here are some more pictures:









No comments:

Post a Comment