Wednesday 17 June 2015

Jungle Dress

Boy oh boy am I excited to hit the button on this post!

For as long as I've been blogging I've wanted a halfway decent camera and finally, I've got one. Actually, I've had it for a couple of months now, but I've had enough practice to start sharing images with you. My pictures will get better, so bear with me (and definitely pass on any tips). I can't make any promises on regular outfit wrap-ups, but I'll do my best to share with you.


This is a vintage (ish) dress which is actually a hand-me-down from my (little) sister. It comes from Vintage Junkyard and it's one of my favourites for when I haven't pre-planned an outfit. It has an amazing jungle print complete with animals and plants and has lots of muted colours against the purple. Reaching for novelty prints is a good choice when you're pressed for time in the morning. Yes, some prints can be too out there for some workplaces, but dresses like this with more muted colours and subtlety in the print give you lots of options to accessorise quickly and without too much thought, but also look work appropriate.  

 t's surprisingly versatile and I've worn it in the summer with a brown belt and sandals or with navy tights and brown oxfords. But this week I went with a blazer and matched a black belt with my black tights. One thing I did forget to photograph was my shoes, but they're just simple black lace-ups with a chunky heel. 





I don't feel quite right without a brooch when I wear a blazer, so I rummaged around in my pins until I found this fern shape which was my nanna's. It's a nice complement to the plants and trees in the print. I usually wear an elephant necklace my other nan gave me with this dress, but it was lost in the depths of my jewellery box and I was running late, so he stayed home. 


This picture makes me look super washed out (and reminds me that I should put my lipstick on before I take pictures. And that I need to fill in my eyebrows a bit heavier for pictures) but I wanted to show the Mimco headband I'm wearing. My hair was clean (Monday is day one for me) so I ran the straightener over it and added the headband to keep my fringe (which I'm growing) out of my face, but it added a pretty touch, which I think for this outfit, is the difference between looking put together or not. I have a drawer full of hair accessories and think they're pretty essential, with some outfits, to finishing!

So, pretty good for a hand-me-down, hey? Tell me about your favourite hand-me-downs or thrifted finds. Do you have dresses that you always wear with a certain accessory (like my long lost elephant)? And the kicker question: anyone seen anything like this dress before? I'd LOVE to work out how vintage it is (I suspect not very vintage. But I do love it)!


No comments:

Post a Comment