Monday 25 August 2014

Searching for my Frosty Palace: Rick's Garage/Diner

My search for my own Frosty Palace has continued. And sort of ended at the same time; because I’ve found what I think is the perfect place; Rick’s Garage/Diner.



Rick’s is in Palmwoods, which is in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. It’s been on my list for a while and I begged some friends who live around the corner, to take me there when I visited them recently.
It’s a huge space with a bar, dining room, outdoor dining, and a massive, fully functioning garage downstairs. The walls are plastered with photos of customers, pinup girls and vintage memorabilia. It’s eclectic, up-cycled, industrial and bloody fantastic.



We found a seat in a booth, made from repurposed race car seats. Our burgers were huge (even mine, which was a mini) and completely delicious. The milkshakes were proper milkshake size and reasonably priced (unlike some places where they’re tiny and twice the price of these) and it was a damn good shake. My friends, who are locals, tell me there are good bands that play, it’s licensed so you can enjoy a good night out, there are open mic nights and a lot of car clubs go and visit. But for me, one of the most important things is that a place has atmosphere in normal days, not just when something’s on. And Rick's certainly has atmosphere in spades.



I’ve seen a lot of girls shooting there, and now I’ve been there myself, I desperately want to organise to get back there for my own shoot!

The only problem with Rick’s is that it’s in Palmwoods, about an hour’s drive from my place in North Brisbane. And so while it’s not too far away to visit regularly, one of the requirements of my own Frosty Palace is that it’s central enough to become a hang out.



I do have a couple more places on my list to check out, so will keep searching. But in the meantime, if you’re heading up around Palmwoods way, make sure you check Rick’s Garage/Diner out!



No comments:

Post a Comment